The HPD advances the availability and upgrade of affordable housing in the five boroughs in New York City. This is the department that is solely responsible for the rules and regulations created by the New York City Housing Maintenance Code.
If a property owner does not comply with the regulations and enforcement finds violations the property owner will be subject to fines until the deficiency is corrected.
All properties with 3 or more living units, or properties with 1 or 2 units where the owner or a family member is not present must be registered with the HPD’s Property Registration Unit. All HPD rules and regulations must be adhered to.
NYC Property Owners Must Follow the Following Guidelines
For more information you can visit: HPD Online
Registration of Property in NYC
All owners of property that is residential buildings must register annually with the HPD of the property fits one of the following guidelines.
- A dwelling that has 1 to 2 dwellings where the property owner or a member of the family does not reside on the property.
- A dwelling that has 3 or more residential areas or units.
All registrations must be filed each year by the first of September or if the ownership changes hands. Remember, HPS uses the contact information provided in the event of some emergency or official notifications.
The fastest way to complete the registration is online at the HPD’s Property Registration Online System (PROS). By using this online tool provided property owners are able to:
- Link to the (DOF) for the payment of the registration fee. DOF stands for Department of Finance.
- Update registration forms as needed.
- Get notifications electronically instead of waiting on the mail to be delivered.
- Print and review a property’s registration and the history.
Violations and Orders
The HPD is the department that oversees regulating and enforcing the City and State laws and codes for safety reasons. By enforcing the codes and laws property owners, tenants, and guests are kept safe.
NYC Property Owners and Open Violations
If you are a property owner and want to make sure there are no violations on your properties, you can look up the information online by visiting the HPDONLINE link above. All violations are listed in certain categories and are as follows.
Owners and building maintenance can obtain a print out of the property violation from the Borough Service Centers.
Property owners in NYC have maintenance laws and codes that must be adhered too. The responsibilities and rights are contained in numerous manuals including the New York State Multiple Dwelling Law and the New York City Housing Maintenance Codes.
Below are a few examples of the laws and codes that need to be followed by property owners.
HPD Signage Requirements
- Post Gas Leak Notice- It is required by law that the property owner post a notice regarding all procedures that should take place and be followed in case of an emergency or when a gas leak is suspected. All tenants are to receive a copy and a copy must be posted in the property’s public area.
- Post Sign for Garbage Collection- Property owner must post a sign in the lobby of the building explaining the current method of garbage collection and the hours of availability.
- Post Floor Signs- Property owner is to have the number of the floor posted for every floor in the building.
- Post Street Number on Dwelling- Property owner must have the street number posted on the front of the dwelling with the numbers visible from the sidewalk and street.
These are just a few of the examples of the HPD signs and regulations that need to be executed by property owners in the NYC area.